Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Lovers


I don't know if I posted about my friend, Jillian, reading my Tarot cards, but I want to write down some of my thoughts from the reading.

It was on July 3rd, two days before Patrick initiated the conversation about the future of our marriage. I was working a double at work that day, and I was so excited for my break between shifts. As I was getting ready to wander for a couple hours, Jillian, a hostess at the restaurant, asked me if I would like her to read my cards during our break. I figured, why not? I'll read my horoscope once in a while for kicks. I have nothing to lose, and I might hear something comforting or insightful. And, it'll be fun and a first for me.

So, we went over to Barnes & Noble, sat at a table at the cafe, and went to town.

It would take too long to describe the layout she uses, every card that was drawn, the story about each card, and the meaning, as well as how it relates to my life, but let me tell you, it was FREAKING AMAZING. (The first card was The Lovers.) Even Jillian, who has done this a LOT, was completely blown away by how direct and applicable all of the cards were to the question I had, which was: What do I do about my marriage?

Here are some of the highlights:
  • My inner balance is off and I need to restore it.
  • I need to be kind to myself.
  • I need to control my anxiety.
  • A quiet retreat, sanctuary, or strategic withdrawal, where I can be alone with my thoughts will be very beneficial to me right now.
  • I need to quit faking "calm" and show my true feelings.
  • Nature is important to me. (the best place for me to find sanctuary)
  • The relationship I want is characterized by mutual affinity and union, clear, true, supportive, comforting, with room for passions to grow. There is potential for this in my existing relationship.
  • I should not re-enter social activities until satisfied that I have resumed contact with a personal value system.
  • I need to withdraw from all distractions.
  • I need to stand up for myself.
  • Basically, the outcome is up to me, and I need to do what is necessary so I can have a clear mind and make a confident decision.
That same day I wrote down some Action Items for myself:
  • Go visit Ken & Paula (my in-laws).
  • Find my sanctuary in the wilderness near here.
  • Follow through with a quiet, intentional withdrawal from all distractions. (NOT in the house - I have to be intentional with having purposeful introspection time.)
  • Be clear and logical and explain what I want to Patrick.
While I'm not religious about Tarot cards, horoscopes, etc., I do think that sometimes we hear a needed message through a unique medium.

I keep forgetting to focus on the good things I got out of this experience. I still haven't retreated to the wilderness, though I have spent hours in the back yard, reading and watching the wind breathe through the blades of grass.

I keep spending too much time with other people, and not with my own intentional thoughts. I really need to stop doing this. I want to wake up each day, have a plan and a goal, and work productively toward being a better person that day.

So, that's my first experience with tarot cards. Not too shabby. :)

2 comments:

♥ N o v a said...

I've always been skeptical of readings and fortune-tellings, but there was one occasion when a strange woman came up to me and fore-warned me about the death of my sister. It was scary and yet it was true. Since then, I've just avoided any kind of reading or future-telling. I figure I'll get the answer somehow even if I don't go seeking for it.

The problem too that I've encountered with readings it that most of the information I get is way too broad and general and not specific enough for just me. The points you highlighted from your reading are all very good, but I also think that they can apply to almost everybody.

Anyway, I don't mean to shower down on your experience - I'm just remembering my own experience. :)

So, how is everything with your relationship with Patrick? Are you guys going to work towards a reconciliation, or is it at the point of no return?

Alison said...

I've been skeptical, too, and I know that the information is really broad and general. I just think that sometimes it is beneficial for me to hear something in a different light. It's not new knowledge, at all, but something I can use as an affirmation of what needs to happen. It was a good experience, but no bible-swearing for me on tarot cards. :)